The Hampshire Council of Governments has donated the Hampshire County historic records to the UMass Amherst Libraries’ Special Collections and University Archives. This is particularly exciting because the University will provide the preservation, conservation, and digitization of this invaluable historic resource. It has been an honor to be the stewards of these records; however, the Council has neither the staff, expertise, space, or finances to properly care for these records. We are confident that the UMass will provide the care and oversight that these records require.
The bound volumes of Sessions and County Commissioners Records and dockets between 1667 and 1956 have been transferred, as have the bound docket indexes. We are expecting to transfer the remaining records by the end of June 2011.
The records will be housed in the Department of Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA) on the 25th Floor of the W.E.B. Du Bois Library. SCUA is open 10 am to 4 pm, Mon.-Fri., and is open to anyone with a research interest in the University’s collections. Researchers must register with SCUA before working with their collections for the first time, and will be asked to sign in each visit. Information on regulations for use can be found online at http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/umarmot/?page_id=691. Information about SCUA’s collections can be found on their website at http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/umarmot/.